Self Opening States Only
New York II:
On December 5, 1933 the 21st amendment repealed Prohibition. Utica Club obtained the very first Federal permit (U-218) in the Nation to manufacturer and sell beer legally.
They had properly aged beer on hand that they would de-alcoholize and sell as "Near Beer" - with their new permit, they skipped this step and at precisely 12 midnight their trucks (already loaded) rolled out the gates. Utica Club was being sold within 1/2 hour to the tune of "Happy Days Are Here Again".
With their fast start, the brewery really began to grow. Happy Days Indeed!
The Utica Club Pale Ale has been dumped on a couple of occasions, although none were salvagable. This can may be unique on grade.
The Utica Club, second can from the right is not
pictured in the books. Inside the circle, the graphics are in full color
(2 known). Anybody know if they made a matching Ale can?
The gold Piels and the silver Piels are both from Brooklyn. The Knickerbocker Bock is a 2012 Grenke Auction can.
Standard Rochester picked up the Haberle (Syracuse) labels in 1962 and re-issued the Steinbrau can (top row). This can is the USBC 2 can. I know only two others and they are the only self-opening cans descendent from the great Haberle Brewing Company - very rare.
Anticipating the end of prohibition, Louis Wehle sells off his successful Tresselt Baking business in 1929 and awaits the repeal of the 18th Amendment. This takes place in 1932 and he purchases part of the Bartholomay Brewing complex which he unites with Genesee to from the Genesee Brewing Company. He hires as many of the old Genesee Brewing Company employees as he can find. On April 29, 1933 Genesee brews their famous Liebotschaner beer. Wehles brother Raymond) started the brewery by that name in New Haven, Connecticut. Wehle's Colonial Ale was the first beer canned in Connecticut. The Feds busted them for fixing prices in New England - late 30's, early 40's and forced them to sell one of the breweries. Thus Edelbrew bought Wehle Brewing Company of Connecticut in 1942.
Click here to edit text